View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Statins and neuropathy

My PCP pyulled me off statins aout three weeks ago after being prescribed them for about 18 mos. I have been tested as having mild axonal losses and polyneuropathy. He is the one who made the connection. I had read of it on line and had been wondering about it. I asked my neuro and she said no, it wouldn't cause it. The Pharmacist said it was unlikely, but my doc recognized the possible connection and took action! I have noticed marked improvement in pain and numbness, I just hope it continues. My cognitive functioning is better as well as I have been able to lower my intake of gabapentin. (so not sure what to attribute that improvement).

Prior to the Lovastatin I had been taking Red Yeast Rice. Mevacor is refined from Red Yeast rice and is a naturally occuring part of it.

I tried to mitigate some of the muscular side effects with the use of enzyme CoQ-10 (which is made along the same metabolic pathway as cholesterol and hence blocked by statins. It seemd to help the muscle pain, but not the neuropathy which just steadily worsened.

My experience with the medical profession has been mixed on this. some of those such as the neuro and pharmacist should have had better insight, but it was my PCP who picked up on it.