View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi There,
Welcome to the forum! I've had TLE for 35 yrs. now I started having sz. when I was 10 yrs. old (I'm 45 now). I started having absence (petit mal) sz. then I began having complex partial sz. 2 yrs. later. I have tried 13 or more AED's (seizure meds) but after having a DNA blood test I found I was drug resistant so I had brain surgery twice to help reduce my sz.
Now I often have many aura (simple partial sz.) where I get a nervousness in my stomach, see colors in my eyes, and sometimes hear one word repeated over and over again.
I agree with Tatoo the best thing for you to do is to go to a Epilepsy Center and see a Epileptologist. I've seen many different neurologists over the yrs. and take my word an Epileptologist has helped me the most and had me on the least AED's. One thing I found that was helpful is taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. a day, B12 helps calm the nervous system down.
You mentioned that you are good at Math and that your are creative it's the left side of a persons brain that controls math, science, creativity, and art work. Where the right side of the brain controls emotions, English, writing, reasoning out problems, and music I learned all of this before I had brain surgery.
One thing you might want to do is stay away from anything with nutra sweet in it (ex. diet soda) it's been proven that nutra sweet causes more electricity in the brain which can lead to a sz. for some people. I found this out the hard way when I used to buy diet soda and ended up having many sz., another thing that can trigger sz. for some people is bright lights flashing, and a low pressure in the weather. Stress and lack of sleep are the 2 main things that trigger sz. for many people and sometimes if a person is sick with a cold or a virus it can trigger sz. also because the body chemistry is messed up.
If you're interested here's a couple of websites to check out:

www.epilepsy.com
http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/index.shtml#seizures

I have never let my E stop me from working. For the past 22 yrs. I've been working in public school as a Teacher Aide in Special Ed. I've had sz. in the classroom and nobody has every given me a hard time about it. Students understand it very well. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote