View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's nice to read comments from other people with it. So far, I'm the only person I know with it, and it can be a bit isolating just because of the effects it has on the personality and mental abilities. The spells aren't isolating for me per se since again, it has been a long time since I've had one -- several years. They are acutely unpleasant for me, and I'm glad to have them gone. However, while they were occurring, not only did I not know what they were, but no one else even knew I was having them. The rapid data absorption and emotional intensity isolated me more than the spells would have.

I also have something called Marfan Syndrome (not neuro at all), and the spells went away when I started taking beta blockers for it, oddly enough. I can't see a connection but I know a friend in the UK who has full-on grand mal E and who can't use nicotine patches because she has spells when she does, right through the Depakote.

Because of this, I'm unwilling to medicate myself further for spells that have not occurred for several years. If and when I decide to change that, it will be my decision, period.

I can't honestly say I mind having it since it has given me a number of very precious gifts, but it can be a lot to think about when you start to realize that the thought processes that you have that have been so different from the people around you might be down to something concrete -- and that there might be other people out there who understand. It's very nice to hear from other people with it. I guess I am feeling more alone than I realized.

Does anyone else do the language-absorption thing here?
WordsnNumbers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote