View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Salt water rinsing is crucial after an extraction

Hi Rachel,

Again, as I posted to Joe..... I respect your lengthy career in oral hygiene, but how many extractions have you seen?

Fully erupted teeth don't make an extraction simple. Periodontally involved teeth tend to have bunches of necrotic granulomatous tissue embedded in the socket. The bone is often necrotic also, especially if the tooth has been root canaled. Both of these conditions can complicate any extraction. The fact that her tooth is loose maybe in her favor allowing an easier removal of the tooth itself. But the area is still infected and will need thorough debridement.

Salt water rinses beginning 24 hours post operatively is absolutely essential for healing of the oral tissue and it keeps the socket from becoming embedded with food debris. I have never witnessed an extraction, not even a deciduous tooth, where the dentist did not recommend warm salt water rinsing.

At least we agree on your last statement...<The more relaxed you allow yourself to be..the less fear...and less discomfort during and after.> AMEN to that!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelBrainF View Post
I agree with Joe.
I am also another Hygienist who has practiced for 30 years.

Only rinse if it is suggested by your dentist. Usually a post op recovery sheet is given to a client.

Sine this is a fully erupted tooth it sounds like a simple extraction.
If it is simple and uncomplicated...any potential TMJ issues should be negligible.
The more relaxed you allow yourself to be..the less fear...and less discomfort during and after.
Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by Bryanna; 02-11-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote