View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default These red rice yeast brands look safe

This is from the www.iherb.com site.

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails....=1&pid=31&at=0 states that it produced in the US. Also look at the product reviews tab.

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails....&pid=3336&at=0 states that it is produced in Japan. Also look at the product reviews. This is the brand that I've been taking, 600 mg./2 times a day for a total of 1200 mg./day.

My results have been similar to the reviews. Especially, the most effective fraction of my HDL has gone from the dangerous level of 2 to the acceptable mid 30's. Everything else I tried only raised that part of my HDL level to a still dangerous 4. One reviewer above states, "Used to take ZOCOR but had muscle aches, now with red yeast rice, no aches and my cholesterol is right where it should be. I've been using this product for 3 years now. R.N. Two Rivers, WI"

Supplements and herbs often seem to get more critical and cynical analysis than drugs. I know the medical history of several people on this board who have serious medical conditions caused by physician (mis)prescribed drugs that were taken without enough thought or monitoring for side effects.

None of us here have a profit motive. For the sake of this forum being as helpful as possible, I think we shouldn't hesitate to relate specific products, websites, and brands that we have had good or bad experiences with.

The studies cited by Mrsd demonstrate the need for consumer caution with red rice yeast, but don't specify which brands were safe and effective and which were not. Fortunately, through the internet we can ascertain which specific brands to use, and which to avoid.

Many herbs and supplements, including red rice yeast, have many years of clinical use which have proven them to be safe and effective. Of course, care should be taken to buy and use a reputable brand from a reputable vendor.

Liza Jane, I hope you reconsider not using red yeast rice. Why not instead get on the manufacturer's website and ask them about your concerns, or try one of the brands mentioned in this posting? Of course, dosage should fit your medical needs, and safety and effectiveness should be monitored.

Last edited by Wing42; 02-11-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Wing42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote