Thread: A New Strategy
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, GIGI. I am Hypothyroid with Hashimoto's, the autoimmune type. Hashimoto's is frquently hereditary and I fit that bill. I saw a lot of musing on the internet about the relationship between MS and Hypothyroidism but a relationship still didn't really make sense to me, even though I knew it was not uncommon to have more than one autoimmune issue. That is, UNTIL I asked my endocrinologist about this recently. He said "What you inherited was a tendency for your body to make antibodies against itself". Aha!

So personally, although it's still unclear why which things manifest itself in people with these tendencies (I think other things are also at play), I do think you might be onto something.

I presently do not take DMDs so my neurologist doesn't exactly "treat me". However, I take my thyroid medication and supplements that I at least hope are helping me keep MS at bay. (And if what I'm doing is working, maybe it will keep other autoimmune issues at bay as well!)

I'm interested to see what happens as you consult with the doctor -- please keep us posted!
Bearygood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote