View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default At wit's end! Litter training a dog (long)

Okay everyone... Here is a situation that has me about at the end of my rope.

We have a one year old spayed, female, YorkiePoo. We got her from a breeder when she was about three and a half months old. She is a real sweetheart except for two things and this is the most frustrating one.

We are trying to litter box train her but she wants nothing to do with the box. It used to be she had the run of the kitchen and the box was there. She ignored it even when we had a pee pad in it or sprinkled her pee over the pellets. When she peed on the floor we put newspaper over it to soak it up and sometimes she would pee on the paper again later. Unless of coarse we put the peed up paper in the box.

A little over a week ago I set up her playpen so it is two ft. by four. I put the litter box in with toys and food/water dishes. She soiled in front of her dishes. If I caught her in the act I would put her in the litter box only to have her finish the job when she was left out. Sometimes I would confine her to a two ft. square litter box only area when I knew she had to go very bad. She would hold it until I left her out 15 minutes later.

She sleeps with Hubby so I had him put her in the litter box only area first thing in the morning. (Yes she holds it all night.) Most mornings I found her standing beside the litter box but sometimes she used the box for a bed.

This morning I took the box out and covered the whole 2X4 area with newspapers. She is trying to shred them.

Please help me potty train Mia. She is approaching the find- a- new- home stage and I really don't want to see that happen.

12/02- health world implodes, 11/05- Raynaud's (Brr!), 2/07- celiac, 3/07- gluten free diet

I will survive.
JustWeave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote