Thread: Lantus
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 03:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Dianne!

I've been on Lantus for several years and it's been a good choice for me.

I am also brittle, and - as with your son - what works one day doesn't necessarily work the next. (I carry food and juice with me everywhere I go.) So I understand a little bit about what you and your son are dealing with. I am an adult, and I'm out of step with more typical management routines, so my experiences might not be of much value. But for what it's worth...

Lantus is given at bedtime, and the only fuss it kicks up occasionally for me is a drop in my morning blood sugar.

I don't use it for total replacement. Instead, it gives me a steady base of coverage, and each time I eat I take a small dose of regular insulin. I eat several snacks a day instead of larger meals, so I wind up with 5 or 6 injections a day. Multiple injections have never bothered me, and it's reduced the challenge of keeping everything balanced, my blood sugars are more stable, so for me it's a good choice. Every day is different, and this allows me to treat each day on its own terms. The added bonus is that I also get some flexibility in my diet that most others on a rigid time and dose routine don't have.

I hope you'll post again and let us know how your son fares on the Lantus.

Have a safe weekend.

TCC
The Crystal Cave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote