View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My Avinza is supposed to be good for 24 hours. My Pain Med dr. watched my behavior in his office one day and sent me directly to the clinic next door, where they drew blood and tested me for how much Morphine I had in me. Zero. That was approximately 12-15 hours after I had taken my last one the night before. I was on 180 mg of Avinza a day.

Your dr. can have a blood test done if they want "proof" the meds aren't working a full 12 hours.

I heard from Ligand about my situation. They told us 24 hours and were concerned that it was out of my system that fast. Main thing is to let your doctor know.

I also looked up pain scales on the internet so I could give the dr. an intelligent answer to how much pain I was in. I used the McGill Pain Scale. The EMTs out here use that scale too.

If you have not heard of the "Vial of Life", you might want to ask your doctor if they have them available. They are free. Put a sticker on your front door and the EMTs know to look in your freezer or refrigerator, depending on which door you put the other sticker on. I listed all my meds and the EMT promptly forgot them. Gave me so much Nitrolingual my heart rate was in the 30s all day. Forced the hospital to put a nurse at the foot of my bed to watch me. I do recommend the Vial of Life program in spite of my experiences.

Best wishes getting it straightened out.