View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My apologies, I did not realize you were not in the USA and I probably did not say it correctly. Sometimes I get in a hurry.

The "Vial of Life" is a red cross on a white background. You can stick it to wooden doors or glass so the ambulance people can find emergency medical information if they arrive and you are alone and unconscious. THAT is the reason for it. And yes, a drug overdose is certainly one example. I hope that helps.

We have two of these "red cross" stickers, one on our front door and one on our freezer door. THIS tells the EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) that the person living at this house or apartment has severe medical problems and the EMT needs to go look for it.

I typed all my medications on a sheet in about #8 font, then listed my Primary Doctor's phone name and phone number. I listed my most severe (life threatening) problems, then rolled the paper up and put it inside two prescription bottles. I am not sure what is done world wide, but in the USA many of our prescription bottles a -- uh -- dark brown plastic. So the sunlight will not get to the medications. I took two plastic medication bottles, put the paper inside, then used scotch tape to hold the two bottles together.

If you want to PM me with your email address, I will take a picture of these items and send it to you. This is a great way for the ambulance people to know what your main problems are so they do not accidently give you or I the wrong medication.

I have Vocal Cord Dysfunction, so when my vocal cords sense GERD (acid reflux) coming up into my Esophagus, my vocal cords will slam shut, allowing no air in. I pass out. When I pass out, the part of my brain that tells me to breathe does not work. If I go to sleep or pass out without medical attention, I will probably die. When we sleep a part of our brain tells us to breathe, tells our heart to beat....etc. My heart is still beating, but for some reason it has been proven I probably will not start breathing on my on. EMT need to know this stuff.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (02-13-2008)