View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 05:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi RedPenguins!

Here is my experience with the dmd's in the past 9 months:

On Copaxone for 8 weeks. I went to see my neuro after the 8th week and dropped my pants and showed him my legs. Then I showed him my arms. I had to inject into already compromised injection sites so I had a large infected, blister on my arm. That was the end of C for me.

On Avonex for 9 weeks. I was so ill from the Avonex my husband even suggested I see the doctor to be taken off of it. I never got over the flu-like symptoms at all. My right eye was nearly swollen shut. My retinologist could find no physical reason for this anomaly nor could my neurologist. I was very depressed and didn't even realize it until I stopped the interferon. My eye went back to normal after a week off of the Avonex.

These are just my experiences. If I had followed the suggested waiting period of a year or two to allow my body to adjust to these medications, I shudder to think what may have happened to me.

If your quality of life is greatly diminished then switching medications is completely justified. I just started Tysabri today after deliberating for quite some time. I'm fully aware of the problems and benefits related to the drug. I am willing to take the risks involved.

Are you having problems with Copaxone or is that you don't like the daily injections? It is ultimately your decision not your neuro's about what you decide to do. Everyone has their own reasons for not wanting to use a certain med. If it's affecting your quality of life, do what you need to do for yourself. Take some time to think it all through.

I hope you're having a better day today

Jodylee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote