View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearygood View Post

Erin, I believed I had recovered from my ON probably around October (onset was March of '07). My neuro-op follow-up in December showed perfect visual field and although the colors weren't all that easy, I could still get them. (I know I have some residual color saturation loss but it's not bad -- nothing obvious.) So, this follow-up of the optics was a surprise to me. But now I know WHY the radiologist called me last Saturday. Obviously, CLINICALLY speaking, my eye is not 100% better. Very interesting to hear you had marked improvement after a year. What you're saying seems to support the findings in my MRI and what my neuro-op said. If she's right, the MRI should eventually look normal (or very close to it) and perhaps there's STILL room for improvement for me! (My eye feels a little funky from time to time but I am just so happy that my vision is back that I've kind of accepted it!)
I never thought I would get any improvement. After about a month or two. (my ON started late august 2006) I still had blind spots. In January of 2007 when I got diagnosed with MS, I still had dim vision in that eye.

When I would go to the yarn store, and ask strangers to tell me what color yarn I was holding, and did it match with the other color I was holding, they'd look at me funny. Like I was nuts (or new at buy yarn or something) That made me a bit sad. I was starting to think I would lose all of my color vision. Since you use both eyes work together to see, colors in the good eye didnt look quite right either to me.

I quit going to the yarn stores for a bit, since none of the yarn colors were appealing to me anymore. Used up a lot of my scrap stash (and I had a huge stash) When my eye started to improve a lot last fall, I went back to the yarn store (the expensive yarn store, I wanted to splurge a bit) I walked in, and knew the color vision was really improving. I was a kid in a candy store (or a crochet/knitter in a yarn shop) I had a blast going thru the green yarns (one of my favorite colors and the color I was having the most problems with other than red)

That was one of my big fears about the ON. That I was going to lose my vision and not be able to crochet ever again. Now I've been practicing crocheting with my eyes closed, and I kept up with the knitting (learned a couple days before the ON hit) and now I can knit garter stitch with my eyes closed for several rows, and I can crochet by feel.

Now if I get another ON and it does too much damage to my eyes, I'll at least be able to keep myself somewhat sane by crocheting or knitting...
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote