View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default AED's and bone density ?

Hi,

I have had epilepsy since the age of 4 or so and am now about 45. I have taken, like most, several drugs over that period to try and control my seizures. Finally had surgery in April of last year and haven't had a seizure since. However, to answer your question, Tegretol over the long term will eventually affect bone density. I have taken it for almost twenty years and began to notice issues in about 2003. Almost immediately began a supplement of calcium+D(600mg twice a day). Been a couple of years and my last dexa scan showed that I have turned the corner and am no longer progressing towards osteoporosis. I had reached levels that indicated osteopenia and will continue to take the supplement. I would think that certainly any woman should take this precaution, as they get older and any man, as the case may warrant. Not sure about every other AED, but I think I have read that many have the tendancy to have an affect on bone density. You should ask you neurologist, family doctor, or pharmacist, as well. Best of luck and God Bless ...

Barry
bjholahan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote