View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I appreciate your point about the advertising of drugs. Drug marketing is sophisticated and relentless.

However, I don't think that the drug companies invented RLS. I had RLS before I knew what it was and had a clinical sleep study to confirm my neurologist's suspicions. Apparently about a third of people with MS will also develop RLS. By the way, I have it in an arm as well! It is a little understood disorder.

Drugs seem to be marketed differently here (Australia). There are many advertisements for common pain killers and the like in the popular press but few about drugs for more serious conditions. However, the drug companies do target doctors. They are offered inducements to prescribe particular products. This has been reported in the media and seems to happen quite a lot. I believe there are many advertisements in professional journals, however.

I was prescribe Permax (pergolide) for my RLS and within six months developed one of the negative side effects of such dopamine agonists. Later some of the other side effects also emerged. The first effect for me was significant drowsiness but the drug works silently in creating obsessive/compulsive behaviours in about 7% of those who take it. So not everyone is affected. It is related to the role of dopamine in brain biochemistry and may depend on individual make-up. I was prescribed the medication in 2000, before there was any public or much professional awareness of the side effects.

Incidentally. Permax has been removed from the market because it is connected with heart disease, not because of its connection with compulsivity.

Now there IS public and professional awareness of the possible side effects of dopamine agonists and people can monitor themselves for these. Professionals should also regularly check their patients as well. The drugs instigate behaviours which people may be reluctant to discuss so honest sensitivity is required.
MrsBackyard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote