View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question thyroid problems and wheat + response to Lois

Lois-
It was carpal tunnel/tendonitis that finally led me to get my subclinical hypothyroidism diagnosed. I read somewhere that about 20% of people with carpal tunnel and tendonitis (RSIs) have underactive thyroid function. After 4 weeks on a very low dose of Synthroid, no more tendonitis.

All-
I am a 35 year old woman who is apparently at a turning point with my thyroid issues and the pivot point has something to do with a wheat allergy. The quick synopsis is here, longer version below. I was dx'ed with subclinical hypothyroidism 4 years ago and have been on Synthroid ever since. 5 weeks ago, I stopped eating wheat and all of my thyroid-esque symptoms improved...immediately and unequivocally. I lost the 5-8 lbs I have been carrying around ever since my thyroid pooped out, my digestion and elimination are great for the first time in my life (no constipation, etc.), my energy level and brain fx are fantastic, and I'm building muscle easily. The shift was so fast that I had to completely stop my Synthroid within the course of 5 weeks b/c I was becoming rapidly hyperthyroid. I am very hyperthyroid at the moment and realize it may take another 4 weeks for the Synthroid to get out of my system. I did some research on thyroid and celiacs/wheat and found that autoimmune hypothyroidism is linked to wheat issues, but I have never had the antibodies to indicate Hashimotos's disease. Has anyone ever heard of non-Hashimoto's hypothyroidism being linked to wheat? Anyone have any experience with this? Do you know of any resources? Once you cut out wheat, is hyperthyroidism the new issue or is this a transitional experience? All I can say is that as unfun as hypothyroidism was, the current state of hyperthyroidism is no cake walk either and it was actually easier to handle the hypothyroidism because I could prop it up with Synthroid...
CarlyP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote