View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 05:53 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs up dear mira

dear dear mira,
do you actually believe anyone of us are happy to be ill?
some members are here just to help others, and by doing so - they are helping themselves...
I am a PD patient/ advocate for cures...
if life throws you lemons - hey keep them because they are free, you can make many things from lemons, besides lemonade...
and to answer your question - the meds cause the body to lose essential minerals and vitamns - levadopa/carbidopa causes potassium deficiency -you may want to research B-12,
you do not get answers fron the neurotalk community - you get research ideas for yourself, ps - start with your attitude, you hate to be here, you know all the big cheeses, your brother is on tv -he's trying to give you ideas, to help you not harm you... do you dislike yourself and the world around you because you view illness as weakness?
you do the research we give the clues to what has helped us - I personally have had the scourge for 15 years and I am 45 years old ...
if you feel it unfair I tell you to research and try to see light instead of shear dread - do not worry - I wont bill you... lol
you can view in search of a champion -the documentary made by some of the finest PD patients I have ever met...
www.pwnkle.com/champion.htm
sincerely, aka a great one - if you want to meet great people - you wil find them here...
Albert Einstein quote - Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
tena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
Hi. I am a new member. (Frankly, I'm not happy about being a member). I've been sitting here next to my husband, who is watching "The Bourne Ultimatum" for the 6th time while I have read every posting of this thread. My brother, who is not a doctor, (but plays one on television) has been trying to persuade me to begin using mucuna pruriens. I liked the concept but my problem has been that I am unclear about 1. where to get it; 2. what brand or formula to get, 3. how much to take with my regular medication, and 4. what are the negative side effects??

After reading all these comments, I now know even less. Maybe someone could give me a SIMPLE answer to the above questions. (You can bill in the morning.) My stats are that I started getting PD symptoms @ 45. I am now 52 (yikes!). I have been on sinemet 25/100 for 1.5 years and I am finding that it is not losing its potency, but rather its longevity. When I first started using it, I took 3 pills/day along with 3 pills /day of Mirapex. The longevity of the medication has decreased so quickly that in order to function "normally" I now have to take 5-6 doses per day and the longevity is still getting shorter.

I would love to take anything to improve my symptoms. As an aside, when I asked my doctor about mucuna, she feigned not knowing what I was talking about. Also that if there was stuff that worked that well, that the main medical community (not pharmaceutical) would jump on it. (She also warned me about getting info from the Internet.) BTW, my doctors are the big cheeses at Columbia Presbyterian NYC (allegedly some of the best around ).

So, any words of wisdom oh great ones? (The movie just ended, I'm off to bed.)

Mira

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Last edited by lou_lou; 02-17-2008 at 06:19 AM.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote