View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Debby,

And I thought I was being wildly experimental by mixing beer with wine! I guess the mixture of Lyrica and Gabapentin works well for you, and that's what counts.

I know that different people do well with different dosages of the same med, but the reason I posted was that Andrea said on another thread that the Lyrica wasn't providing Allison any real pain relief. In the past, I've encouraged people to insist that physicians increase the dosage of GABAs until they actually do provide significant pain relief, or until side-effects become intolerable and something else should be tried.

After what I've read about Lyrica in the last few days here at NT, I wanted to make it clear that I don't think increasing Lyrica is a good idea for anyone; especially children, who's frontal lobes are still developing.

In fact, as reports are now surfacing about this drug, I'm beginning to wonder whether it is safe to use at all. Other drugs have done extremely well in the sorts of trials the FDA mandates, then proved to be extremely dangerous after larger populations begin using them and reporting unexpected problems.

I'm very conservative when it comes to new drugs. I would rather wait a while and see how others do before I try them, but thats me.

My bias in this is so strong that I would avoid Lyrica based on what I've learned thus far; there are too many other GABAs that have been around for years, and I would experiment with them first; even if it provided the kind of pain relief you report.

As I said, when a dosage doesn't provide adequate relief, we should demand increasing the dosage until it does. With the recently discovered side-effects of Lyrica, however, and in light ot Ali's age, I don't think that is the proper course: So I said so.

The withdrawal symptoms Ali reported indicate that Lyrica may be acting too strongly on several parts of the brain. She mentioned, I had panic attacks all the time, I shouted at my mom, was sick, couldn't stop crying, couldn't breathe properly, was even more depressed than I normally am etc etc. and there is no way of knowing what is being affected; just that something seems seriously wrong.

I haven't studied Lyrica, and have no idea what dosages are prescribed, so I relied on what Andrea reported on another thread. I am sure, however, that if a drug isn't doing any real good at a certain dosage, withdrawal produces the symptoms Ali described, and reports started coming in that it was severely affecting emotions, I wouldn't take it.

Sorry for another over-long reply, but my shorter posts (like the one above), often lead to misunderstanding of my rationale', so its back to over-explaining again. I really need a good editor...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :

Last edited by Vicc; 02-17-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: editing error
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sandel (02-19-2008)