View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronco3765 View Post
I have temporal lobe seizures plus a host of other kinds also. If you don't have spells I see no reason to medicate unless something aggravates your condition. I had so much trouble with meds when the docs were trying to stabilize me I wanted to crawl in a hole and die. Thankfully they discovered my system could only handle very low dosages of pheno and valium 4X daily and at bedtime. Meds can be horrible, especially if you have ms on top of epilepsy.
I remember being rather irked at the neurologist when he was trying to get me to take the Keppra. I can understand his apprehension; he's probably had to call the DMV on a few of his patients and doesn't care to do it. But it was like:

"We'll start you on Keppra."

"But I haven't had a full-on spell in years."

"You'll start with a low dose, and--"

"Doctor, I haven't -- "

"-- move up from there. There's also Lamictal, but that interferes with fertility -- "

"-- had a spell in -- "

"-- so we'll start off with the Keppra."

"-- years."

"What?"

"*sigh*"

He also told me nothing at all about signs to watch for that the stuff wasn't working well for me, until I asked him, "If this stuff makes my head go pear-shaped, what warning signs will I want to watch for?" That earned me a blank look.

And after hearing about the problems that people had had with settling on medications that work for them, I determined that I wasn't going to take a single one unless I had a damned good reason to do so, and given that it's been years since I've had a spell (and decades since what I've come to realize were complex partials), I'm not taking a thing. I'm not the denial type, so if it becomes evident that I need them, I'll take them. But until then?

Nope. Not unless it's needed.

Currently, the thing I'm the most interested in is actually Geschwind's Syndrome because I've been a very intense, hypergraphic person with unusual (and unusually distributed) skills for my entire life, and this is the first time I've ever seen myself described properly in a book of any kind. I'm 42 and I've never seen myself reflected so utterly anywhere before. It's an unusual experience to have for the first time in middle age.
WordsnNumbers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote