Thread: A New Strategy
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I was dx with IBD (Ulcerative Colitis) in 1986, and MS in 1991. When I was dx with MS, one of the first things I looked at was the possible connection between these two conditions.

They have been looking at this for a while now:

"A link between IBD and multiple sclerosis has been suspected for some time, but earlier studies have been conflicting. Powerful new drugs used to treat IBD, which block inflammation-causing tumor necrosis factor (TNF -- a part of the immune system), are also suspected of causing multiple sclerosis.

Medications that block TNF like Remicade and Humira are now required to contain labels warning of a possible link to multiple sclerosis and similar conditions. But all agree that their role in the disease is far from clear."

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-dise...iple-sclerosis

I have used a drug called Sulfasalazine to control the UC attacks, but I haven't been able to figure out if it fits in this class of drugs.

The question remains though, "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" They predict that the trigger for MS occurs in our very early years, so perhaps I actually had MS before UC.

Cherie