View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Thanks Herb for that list....interesting

in that there are only two 'keeper' veggies on the list. Most are considered 'tender' veggies.
I have to say that where I live things are sort of strict at many area markets. Stuff HAS to be grown within 150 miles from the county I live in. Believe me, farmers and growers of all kinds come from exactly that DISTANCE to get their slots and spaces! Should they claim to be 'organic' they have to provide some sort of certification to sell AS ORGANIC. Don't know the criteria but I could probably find it all. We usually have about a 3-1 ratio of organic types to standard truck farmers. You always have a choice in season. I have to say now, that I'm very fortunate...I've a giant 18 cu.ft. chest freezer came with my house when we bought it. I've learned how to freeze more foodstuffs than I'd ever imagined possible. I can have FRESH frozen Berries rite now IF I want! If I lose power for more than 3 days, well, I'm toast! Do some sort of free for all for the neighborhood, I guess. KNOCK WOOD QUICK! Thing is, I get the freshest stuff when it's fresh, clean it, freeze it, and enjoy it all year!
More importantly, we find dairy folks and home-grown beef, pork, chicken, and even fish folks at these markets! Their stuff is not cheap, but it IS GOOD! Very GOOD! Believe me, the real home raised stuff, not manufactured raised foods are soo good! We do lose some tho, to the local Whole Foods Stores tho...SIGH! It's just this danged winter! Access to greens and other fresh stuff is soo hard...
As for the meat recall? Glad I'm not a school kid? Hugs to all - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote