View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Hi Sydney...

Magnesium citrate is a laxative..but there is a threshold, for each person according to dose. Some people can tolerate it in lower doses, but others
can't.

Calcium in the citrate form, as well as the mag citrate, are favored for people with a history of calcium oxalate kidney stones (about 80% of stones are this type).

The citrate form is used to deliver calcium for these patients.

This is one place to find the magnesium lactate:
http://www.medshopexpress.com/081989.html
Magnesium lactate (MgL) is “Mag-Tab SR” : 84 mg (7 mEq) elemental magnesium. The salt MgL contains 12% Mg.

You can find SlowMag and its generics locally. There is practically no diarrhea risk with them. The generics are MagDelay and Mag64... I buy mine at WalMart--the pharmacist orders them for me, behind the counter. 60 are only about $6.00. Affordable and effective. Two per day is enough.

You don't have to buy the most expensive just because lactate showed up well in studies. The Magnesium Chloride in SlowMag works just as well.
And BTW...SlowMag (brand name) was formulated originally by the Searle company for use by doctors to treat magnesium deficiency. The patent is now owned by Purdue. It has been around a long time, as over the counter.

You can buy magnesium malate at Puritan's Pride:
http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.as...CPID=1280&np=1
This is one I use sometimes, and my son all the time. But sometimes it gives my diarrhea, so I prefer the SlowMag.
However, the malic acid in this, is recommended for fibro patients.

So if you want to get more for your $$...you might try the Puritan product...
They have sales all the time, and are very quick and dependable. Their mailing fees remain the same low price
regardless of how much you order...I get alot of my standard yearly vits at their buy one get 2 free sales.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 03-15-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: removing expired link
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
b onna (02-28-2010)