View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 12:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Rick,

All this sounds absolutely awful for you. You deal with far more than anyone should have to already without something adding to the challenges.

For what it’s worth, here’s what came into my head as I read your post. I apologize that mine is so long. I'll break it into two pieces.

First my questions:

-- What did you eat and when within this three-hour period?

-- What were the blood sugars and time frames cited in the study you read as having the potential to cause a problem?

-- Was the glucose monitor you used reliable, with fresh batteries, and checked recently for accuracy? Something as simple as batteries that have been around for a while can ping-pong blood sugar readings all over the place.

-- Does this happen every day?

My thoughts for consideration:

-- You are right, that your blood sugars are within reasonable limits, no extremes in there at all. 80-120 was historically considered a normal range, although the threshold number has been lowered recently for diabetics. Even at that, 107 is within an acceptable range.

-- imo, the difference between 92 to 107 is not dramatic, perhaps even inconsequential two hours apart, and – still opinion – 128 is far below what I think could make you feel ill, if it would at all. Undiagnosed Type II diabetics stay undiagnosed because they continue to feel well, some even with blood sugars way over the top (I’m talking the 200s). I know you’re dealing with a disorder that puts you outside of mainstream. Even at that, it’s hard for me to think that these relatively small changes could aggravate your symptoms to this degree.

-- The difference between 128 to 107 does not make me think of the words "shot up" or spike in and of itself, nor identify a drop from 128 to 110 as a collapse. The numbers are also out of context – what went on during those three hours that could have influenced the rise and fall? Stress all by itself can cause chaos.

In the case of a non-diabetic, the body responds quickly to blood sugar rises from food intake, and insulin put out by the pancreas quickly returns blood sugars to normal. So going from 128 to 110 in 15 minutes can be quite normal.

-- "Brain fog" is a symptom of low blood sugar (in the 60s and lower), which is not what you are experiencing. Muscle weakness is also a low sugar symptom. The brain and muscles are not being "fed." Tunnel vision and the need to urinate are also associated with low blood sugar. (Where in the sequence did these occur?)

-- If you are looking to changes in your blood sugar as the culprit, keep in mind that food and the type of food affects blood sugars. Protein and fat are metabolized more slowly than carbs, which means the blood sugar stays at a more even level, fewer and more gradual changes, while sugars and simple carbs cause a more rapid rise and more rapid return to normal.

-- Blood sugars can change from minute to minute, with or without PD, so a single reading as you say is of virtually no value when trying to determine if there is a problem – a routine lab test, a check done in the doc’s office, even a series of checks in single morning. In your case, you are talking about changes that occurred over a period of three hours, which is a huge amount of time. The readings could feasibly be all over the place, depending on a myriad of factors, but still be within your reasonable range.

(more)
The Crystal Cave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote