View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Both Cervical Stenosis and Lumbar Stenosis?

Your symptoms suggest possible cervical spinal stenosis, which can be improved by surgery, so maybe you should bug your neurosurgeon or else see a neurologist and try to get an MRI of your neck. If the pain gets worse in your neck and shoulder when you use your hand, that's kind of a tell-tale sign, though it should also be likely that your neck problems would radiate to your hand(s) and arm(s). The worse the cervical stenosis gets, the further down your body the pain creeps.

I've had surgery for cervical spinal stenosis, with fusion of C4, C5, and C6, but mine had gotten really, really bad to the point that I had every symptom you can get, short of total paralysis, and even since my surgery I've had pain, but at least my arms and hands have regained their function.

I know your pain is very bad, but if it's stenosis it's rather limited in scope, compared to how bad it can get (and believe me you do not want to "go there."). Maybe cortisone shots and physical therapy would help, in your case. Some antidepressants also help control pain, especially Cymbalta. Ice packs and heating pads also help a bit. NSAIDS probably help control inflammation, but they don't always help with the pain itself. In my experience, Hydrocodone combined with muscle relaxants helps for a while, Oxycontin helps a lot, NSAIDS don't work, and Darvocet is like taking half an aspirin. I don't know about you, but all I can get is Darvocet, and this is very frustrating to me.

You definitely should see a doctor and try whatever they suggest.

NOTE -- I am convinced I also have lumbar spinal stenosis (not yet diagnosed or treated). I have low back pain that radiates to my hips, in particular, and I cannot stand for very long or walk very far. Sitting helps ease the pain, but not completely. I can't find much information about it, but I guess a person can have spinal stenosis in both the neck and back, and maybe that's your problem, as well as mine.
catchfish is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote