View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Back from the NS

Dawn, thanks for your kind response. You're a special person. I visited with a respected NS last week, who looked at my MRI, radiology report, and my personal notes. He's initially told me that he doesn't believe my symptoms are Chiari-related... but I personally believe he's intentionally being optimistic. At the same time, he's requested that I get a CINE MRI to get a better understanding on my CSF flow, and has also setup a visit with a local balance/vestibular lab to run extensive tests. My gut tells me it's Chiari though.

Last Saturday, my wife and I went out for a 3 hour ride over gravel roads at a moderate pace. We had a blast and I felt great that evening and night. However, the next day I awoke with an incredibly sore neck, particularly on the right (the side where I have most cerebral tonsil herniation). I literally could hardly walk from the spasms that would fire in the side of my neck, and spent much of Sunday not moving. Things got a little better in the evening, but this continued for 4 solid days. Each morning I would experience intense pain (couldn't move my neck) which would gradually ease somewhat throughout the day, only to get worse again the next morning. Thursday there was much progress and Friday morning I was almost completely normal. However, I still feel some tension, now in the back and base of my head, and am beginning to wonder if this is the start of the halmark chiari headache. It's just a dull ache at this point and I've had it for a couple of days now. Against my neurologist's suggestion, who suggested I avoid "tense" activities, I decided to do some pull-ups... just to see if this would promote the Chiari symptoms. (My neurologist believes I have ACM1, while my neurosurgeon is the one being optimistic and telling me it might be something vestibular but let's do more testing.) Right now, it's looking like she may have been right. I'll know more in a few days.

So for now, things are on hold until the CINE MRI which is in 2 weeks. I'll share more after that.

Thanks Dawn!
DoubleBike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote