View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I never said I was asked to publish PROFESSIONALLY 8 years ago. My publishing was done in "Young America Sings" an anthology of poetry and essays.

And, because "Understanding MS" was something I got via email and later saw in Brain Talk...not cited in either place, I did some digging and discovered that it was taken from the NMSS site (which gives permission for copying materials for educational purposes.).

Come on guys...you're trying to turn this into a dictatorship! Which of you is Mod#4? Get off it and let people learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agate View Post
I haven't yet found it on the NMSS Website but am still looking. I see that Paul Jones didn't give any source either when he quoted the material. In fact, it may be by Paul Jones, for all anyone knows.

When I saw the material here in clinical1's post, I assumed she wrote it. I think most people would assume that unless a source is given.

I don't think anyone knows "all about copyright," especially now that the Internet has created new situations in terms of copyright law.

However, there is another very good reason for always including a source for a quotation, and that is that your readers may want to look at the source, to see what else it might say, to see the context where the quotation occurs.

Sometimes it's a simple matter of noticing a misprint or something that seems to have been omitted in the quotation and wanting to check the original source....

Copying and pasting doesn't guarantee that your quoted material is going to be reproduced in its original form.

I hope I'm not just adding fuel to a fire here, but I for one do feel strongly about the need to cite sources and to make sure that somebody else's words are clearly separated from your own words.
I am not turning this into a dictatorship. I see that agate also believes that one should always cite sources when giving out factual information that clearly was written by someone other than yourself. I think it's super that you are supplying informational materials to people who may not know where to turn for proper informational sources, however, let us give credit where credit is due.

In your doing so, it implies that the material you wrote was written by you, if I am not mistaken. So, please don't acccuse me of being a moderator or preventing people from learning about their conditions. It appears that agate fully understands my stance on this matter as well. When one writes a paper, aren't we required to use footnotes and a bibliography? Why should it be any different on here. Please give credit where credit is due.

Carry on.

Chris

Last edited by Chris; 08-31-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Chris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote