View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea. Describing strange symptoms is difficult. Many of us describe them in a smiliar if not the same way.

At one of my neuro appointments I was trying to explain something and I ended up laughing. I told the NP that they must get get together and crack up at how us MSers explain symptoms. She laughed.

A hard concept to grasp is that sometimes it's what our brains are telling our conscience. My brother who has done extensive neurological research including MS, explained it to me this way - sometimes we think something is numb but in reality it is not; our brain is just telling us we are numb. Like when we tell the neuro that our hand is numb but when they do the pin prick test we feel it. Our brain is tricking us.

Or, which happens quite frequently to me, my brain is saying I don't have a left arm and hand yet it is functioning perfectly fine. The only time I find it annoying is while driving. I have to keep looking at it to make sure my left hand is on the steering wheel and is working.

Also, our nerves are terrible communicators. I once burned my arm - 2nd degree burn. The nerve behaved like a little kid who was told to put something in their room. Only the kid took that something and wandered around the house for a while, went outside to play, went to the bathroom, and finally (in my case) 45 minutes later put the something away in their room. It took 45 minutes for nerves to get to my brain with the message that I burnt myself.

It is hard to explain where the communication breakdown is happening. I guess that's the neuro's job. But it does help to hear how others describe some of their symptoms. Some of the common explanations could be put in a check list. LOL.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nevada Leftie (02-21-2008)