View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 12:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Appt. with the oncologist

Hello to all...I'm going to ATTEMPT to cut & paste the email text that I sent to others in here instead of having to re-type everything....

Good Evening to all,
Today has been a day that all of us have waited and prayed about for several weeks. I'm going to try and include all of the details of Keith's visit with the oncologist, hoping that I answer everyone's questions.

He had the right testicle and tumor removed on January 29th. The urologist mentioned that there was some evidence of vascular invasion in the area surrounding the testicle itself.

The CT scan showed only one enlarged lymph node in the groin area.

The chest x-ray was clear, showing that the cancer had NOT spread into the lungs.

It is a non-seminomal embroynal germ cell tumor which is malignant. Cancer has NOT spread to any distant sites but HAS ianvaded blood vessels within the testicle.

The oncologist said that were it NOT for the pathology report, he would say "leave it be and do monthly blood tests". However the pathology report shows it into the blood vessels.

He gave Keith basically 3 choices= leave it alone and do bloodwork monthly, remove the lymph nodes(drs last choice), or have chemo.
Keith has chosen to do the chemo. Since it is a stage I-B level, the chemotherapy would not need to be that strong, and it would be for 2 sessions most likely beginning the first Monday in March. It would be one wk of chemo, two wks off, the second session of chemo, then bloodwork every wk.

Yes chemo. can be hard on the body, but we all feel like this big weight has been lifted and that the worrying part of this ordeal is over. There's a 95% survival rate with the chemo and the tumor being removed, so we are now feeling like Our Lord Jesus has him in the palm of His hand, and that the road ahead is going to be much easier to handle.
Keith seems very positive about everything at this point, it appears that there is NO need for the lymph node removal surgery at this time. We had the opportunity to meet a testicular cancer survivor last weekend. His was stage 3-A and had already spread to his lung. He is such an inspiration to others now, and Keith so enjoyed hearing his survivor story. Our whole family has purchased numerous items from the Lance Armstrong Foundation, and we feel that Keith shall join those that are not just LIVING as a cancer survivor, but will continue to LIVE STRONG !!!

Thank you all for thoughts, cards, prayers, phone calls...this is what's keeping us going right now,

Marilyn, Doug, Keith and Amanda

yippeee it worked!!!!! Anyways, you can all read the update. We just feel like a heavy weight has been lifted and now he can go on with the chemo and be a cancer survivor.
My love and hugs to you all....

and all the other cute icons!!!!! LOL

We are friends for a reason. Sometimes we don't know why until we've been friends for a long time !!!

Take time to laugh, it's music to the soul.

Corkybird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (02-21-2008), Chemar (02-21-2008), Curious (02-21-2008), Darlene (02-22-2008)