Old 02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Community reaches out to children of dying woman
Community raises money to help honor wishes of a dying mother.
By EUGENE W. FIELDS
STAFF WRITER
Comments 0| Recommend 1

A mother's dying request for help with her children's education has stirred the hearts of a community.

Danielle Camacho is near the end of her battle against Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease. News of friends, neighbors and complete strangers rallying to help her daughters has put a sparkle in the eye of the Ladera Ranch resident.

Camacho, 38, hasn't asked for help for herself. Instead she's asking for financial assistance to help keep her daughters, Brittney, 14, and Jessica, 11, in their parochial schools, as well as help with future college tuition.

The 8,000-home master-planned community responded by scheduling fundraisers and giving out of their own pockets. Less than two weeks after Camacho made her plea, more than $3,400 has been raised.

It's A Grind coffee shop in Ladera Ranch gave 80 percent of its sales on Feb. 14 and raised $1,650. Store owner Andrei Hall was pleased with the amount.

"It wasn't a record day, but it was a good day for a Thursday," Hall said. "The employees also donated their tips for the day. You wish you could do more."

The Ladera Ranch Chamber of Commerce also made a contribution at its mixer earlier in the month. Beach Fire Bar & Grill is joining with the Orange County Fire Authority at a fundraiser on March 3. The Ladera Ranch branch of the Newport Rib Company pledged to do a fundraiser and the Ladera Ranch location of Chick's Sporting Goods has pledged to donate money.

"There are efforts being made everywhere," said Sherrie LeVan, chamber president. "Maybe people will say, 'I should help too.'"

Local insurance agent Jason Glass is a trustee on the Camacho Girls Education Fund, set up at the Ladera Ranch branch of Edward Jones Financial. Glass said Camacho wants her children to continue to have a strong faith-based support system after she is gone.

"She doesn't have a problem with public schools in any way," Glass said. "It's about not having a disruption, keeping a support system and keeping faith and hope for her kids future and education."

A reason Camacho wants to make sure her children's education is taken care of is because of her worry about her husband, Al. Camacho worries about her husband's dangerous job as a firefighter with the Los Angeles Fire Department, which is why she made Glass a trustee of the education fund.

"My children are afraid they will lose him too," she said. "They worry about him every time he goes to work."

Al Camacho was grateful for the contributions thus far.

"I don't know how people could be so caring and loving to be willing to help a stranger," he said. "I don't know how I'm going to find a way to pay them back."

DONATIONS
Donations to the Camacho Girls Education Fund are being accepted at the Ladera Ranch branch of Edward Jones Financial, 999 Corporate Dr. or at 87 Zinnia Street, Ladera Ranch, 92694.

For more information, call 949-347-0833 and mention the fund.

Contact the writer: 949-454-7308 or efields@ocregister.com
http://www.ocregister.com/news/camac...dera-education

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote