View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
My idea was to help patients describe their symptoms to a doctor. Something along the lines of the pain scale, but more detailed. Genearlly we can describe pain fairly well: dull, sharp, burning. And we don't have much trouble indicating if an area feels cold or (weirdest of weird) wet. But some of the more vague symptoms of MS are much more difficult to describe and I was just grasping at ideas to improve that.

I agree your idea is very helpful for the reasons you've indicated. Another reason is that a lot of times people (dx or undx) don't even suspect a symptom has anything what-so-ever to do with MS . . . but this misunderstanding could actually be detrimental to our care.

To this day, I still run into lightbulb/a-ha! moments when someone mentions something I've either ignored, been too embarrassed to ask about, or I had no idea was related to the MS. Thankfully, if things get too worrisome, I have a great doctor who humors my every whim.

I think the cons outweigh (though not out-number) the pros in going down this path of detailing symptoms though. As it is, I am usually quite careful about giving away TOO much information on the net (well at least in one thread/posting), as I am aware that people can:

- mistakingly take any advise/opinion as "absolute"
- draw a line from one thing to another and second-guess the professionals.

During my testing, I find it's funny that I often get "good" results on tests I was sure I failed miserably on, and "bad" on things I thought I was doing well on. Obviously what they are looking for is not always what we think it is.

This MonSter almost always gets ugly at some point. I care just as much for helping the undx people get the right dx and treatment, but sometimes I think we do them a dis-service by encouraging them to challenge every MS leaf unturned.

I think you are right too, Catch, that the information that is out there is vague for a reason. I also agree with tkirk that our "lack of description" can also be a good indicator to doctors.

Touchy subject.

Cherie