View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Great idea for a thread, Kay.

When it comes to telling, I think people really have to weigh the advantages against the disadvantages, and also do a reality check on what they can hope to gain by doing so.

I had to downgrade my career over the years, but I never admitted the MS. I couldn't do the long days and stress of Sr Mgmt, but the expectation of that kind of job was to do that . . . no bones about it. Sooooo ... for the last 8 years in the workforce, I took jobs that were still a challenge, but that the expectation to attend long meetings, do the daily overtime, etc. were not there for that job (or company). The companies made out good because they had an over-qualified and loyal employee, and I made out well because I could meet the specific job expectations.

Also, if the accommodation is going to noticably inconvenience co-workers or the firm (in an ongoing way), then I think our choices are limited to down-grading to something we can handle, or leaving the job. I don't think it's fair to expect other's to take some of our load because we are too unwell to do it. I also don't think it's fair for a company to have to pay the same wages to someone who can not fully do the job, just because they are disabled (fat, female, green-skinned, or for any other "disadvantage"). They should have a right to generally expect 'full production' out of all their workers. (That's my management point of view, of course )

On the other hand, companies should try to find a different job that would be more suitable to our situation, install a/c, provide elevators and parking, limit overtime, provide intermittent sick pay, etc. I think those are fair concessions to ask for in most jobs.

Cherie