Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
My d levels are good but I have osteoprosis. The endo told me to take 2 calcium with d. The calcium amount is 600mg and the d is 400iu.
I am so lost Mrs D so I thought the gylcinate was very well absorbed and what docs use. Is 400mg good or no the 200mg because it is 1/2 the rda amount? This doc wanted me to work up to 10 but I don't feel comfortable. I have bowels of steel and the amount to give me loose bowels would be unreal. Thanks about the Kaprex. There seems to be little data. I guess Shelly and I are the test bunnies and right now for me no help. Not cheap stuff either. I feel some of the supps are just giving me expensive urine.Thanks always
Let's back up a bit...

Daniella, nothing you take by mouth is 100% absorbed. That calcium you use is only about 20-24% absorbed.
When I give suggestions on the net, I have to be careful because I don't know your kidney function or anything else about you. So basically for a target for someone NOT SEEING a doctor 1/2 of the RDA for magnesium is a fair goal.
Statistics have shown that to be a safe, useful target. For some drastic people who are very depleted that may be too low a target.
If you follow your doctor's advice and take 10 tablets of your product that would be 1000mg of elemental mag or 2.5 times higher than the RDA which is between 350 and 400mg/aday. Your doctor is responsible for that recommendation. If you took 4 tablets a day, you would be at the RDA, assuming that all is absorbed, which it is not. That would vary from person to person depending on transit time and activity of the bowel.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote