View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 12:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks Carolyn

I think this is going to be very interesting. I have a history of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) that started in 1970 something...possibly earlier. I had days when I couldn't get off the couch. Nothing ever showed on glucose tests. Until I had my 4th child when they screened a lot more carefully for Gestational diabetes. I saw the one and only Diabetes doctor who specialized in GD in all of BC. I told her my story and she said "You've been Hypoglycemic for years!"
I had my baby, blood tested okay so that was that. The day the Neuro told me I had PD, he sent out blood work. When I saw him for follow up he told me I tested positive for diabetes. Lost 25 lbs, and was back in the non diabetic world, no one gave my complaint about Hypo glycemia a 2nd look. By this time I had read the books and was pretty knowledgable. I have always thought there was a connection between the two. I have a horrendous bilateral tremorin legs only (although it was right side only -both hand and leg at beginning), but virtually no other notable signs of PD. I have adapted my eating to getting my meds to work, and every time I see a Neuro, they think I'm unusual, but just tell me I shouldn't be taking so much sinemet (1000+mg daily). When I'm off my legs are weak and shakey. I tire easily now, and am very anxious. I've had so many things that should have been red flags, but the test with the strange name (the one that gives them a "mean" for the last 3 months shows me close to the line but not over it.) I'll have to check your 700 reading on Rick's conversion link. I'm not sure how high that would be metrically...but my guess is it's scary high!!! The blood testing in the labs is not adequate. I have to do some more reading to find out what the meds are up here. I will post more on Monday if my computer doesn't choke and die. I have to sort through old logs and see what my problems were. Ten years of this crap is going to make me one crabby old chicken if it turns out glucose and brain damage are the root of my adventures with Parkinson's.... Stay tuned for more.
rosebud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote