15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Raising awareness

Rockwell resident golfs for a cure

By Josh McCann
jmccann@independenttribune.com
Thursday, August 31, 2006

Jimmy Mastranunzio, 36, of Rockwell, adjusts his visor before the start of Wednesday's seventh-annual Celebrity Golf Classic at Kannapolis Country Club.
Greg Kahn (gkahn@independenttribune.com)

KANNAPOLIS - Jimmy Mastranunzio gets tired easily. Even eating can be hard at times.

Ever since he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease in June of last year, little things like pinching or tying shoelaces can pose problems.

But it wasn’t difficult to convince the 36-year-old Rockwell resident to play a round of golf Wednesday.

Sitting outside the clubhouse at Kannapolis Country Club before the start of the seventh annual Celebrity Golf Classic, Mastranunzio’s eyes lit up at the mere mention of the game.

“Golf is great,” said Mastranunzio, who was hooked on the sport 15 years ago after one outing with friends. “They didn’t have to twist my arm very hard.”

One of about 140 players participating in the tournament, Mastranunzio said he’s happy to do what he can to raise awareness and support the cause of finding a cure for the fatal neuromuscular disease, which can make even the simplest movements of walking, speaking and gesturing nearly impossible. He even reluctantly made his first television appearance Wednesday in a live interview on Charlotte’s FOX affiliate.

“I’m happy I did it, but I’m glad it’s over,” he said.

When he was diagnosed with the disease, also known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Mastanunzio said he didn’t know much about it - but he knew it wasn’t good. Steadily, he’s learned more.

While Mastranunzio tries to keep up with a vitamin regimen that will keep him healthy, his doctors have told him the disease usually proves fatal within three to five years. A father of four, Mastranunzio is coming to grips with the grim prognosis.

“I was hoping that maybe they weren’t right,” he said with his two youngest sons seated beside him. “It’s starting to affect my body, but I seem to be able to adapt.”

His wife, Cyndi, said the family worries for him.

“Scary, I think, would be biggest word that I would use,” Cyndi said.

But Mastranunzio worries mostly about their future. He said he thinks often about his kids - ages 14, 11, 3 and 1 - and wonders.

On disability leave from his job operating a packaging machine for Frito-Lay, Mastranunzio spends more time with the children now than he ever could before, a benefit he termed “the upside to this terrible disease.”

As his ALS progresses, Mastranunzio strives to maintain his health and remain positive.

“There’s not really a whole lot you can do except sit and wait and hope,” he said.

He’s not entirely comfortable serving as the public face for the disease, but he proudly recounted his role in a fundraising walk in April. He pledged to continue fighting - particularly if he can hit a few balls while doing so.

“I’m just glad that there’s people out there that are trying to find a cure,” he said. “If not for me, than for somebody else.”

The event, cosponsored by the Kannapolis Intimidators and CT Communications, has raised more than $65,000 for the Jim “Catfish” Hunter chapter of the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association since its inception. With final figures not yet available Wednesday afternoon, organizers said they had added almost $20,000 to that total this year.

• Contact Josh McCann at jmccann@independenttribune.com or at 704-789-9152
http://www.independenttribune.com/se...948&path=!news

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote