View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI Sheena
nice to meet you although i am sorry you have been Dx with MS. As the others have said, it is not the end of the world- the number of lesions does not corrulate with the degree of disability or the likelyhood of progression

I was dx in 2004 and had multiple lesions (too many to count) and was told that it was highly likely that i had had MS for at least a decade! i was already wheelchair dependant due other reasons so the thought of having another condition that was degenerative was difficult to take. Once i got used to the idea though and calmed down, things have not been too bad.

Unfortunately i have been through a tough period recently and have multiple relapses, i have been hospital(12 or 13 admissions) for the bulk of the time since october, i have had 5 lots of IV steroids and several courses of oral steroids. I have now been reclassified as "highly active Relapsing remitting MS" which i have been told progresses about twice as fast as the more usual type. Ty is recommended but i am not a candidate for medical reasons

Even with all this, the one thing i know is that MS is really unpredictable- the relapses could stopp just as quickly as they started and as for the comment about progressing twice as fast- twice as fast as what, there is no standard course for this disease. all you can do is try and stay as informed as possible, take care of your general health and try not to let MS lead your life. I know it is really scarey but it is not likely that you will wake up a vegetable one day, and it is not a fatal disease.

I must admit that i am surprised that your neuro is Ty at this stage simply because he does not know how aggressive your MS is and he will not know that unitl you have another relapse- at the moment there is no way of knowing how fast you have developed new lesions or how fast or slow you may develp new ones. I am not trying to make light of your situation but the other thing that comes to mind is that since the dx came as such a surprise, it sounds like any attacks you may have had in the past have had minimal impact to your day to day life- to me that sounds positive!!
kebsa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote