View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcitron View Post
There are two groups of people in the word. There are those that go through life having the best marriage, winning every lottery, getting the best jobs, never have a serious illness, and leading what seems to the rest of us, a perfect life. Then there's the rest of us. We're the ones who work hard for what we need and not just what we want, appreciate what we have dearly because we're dealt the blows early on, and take it all in stride with all the willpower we can muster.

The'se so-called untouched people however will end up touched physically at some point in their lives whether they realize it or not. At some point in their arrogance they will trip up because they take everything for granted. You'll all probably think I'm totally cracker-brained after this post.
John you are not "cracked" at all. After all, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." --Theodore Seuss Giesel

You have a good point here. Then there are those people who will not let the world into their private world. They don't want to be touched by imperfection. In fact, it is these people who will ignore a health issue in fear of what it is, rather than acknowledge it and take care of it NOW.

Fear of the unknown is a very powerful emotion.

I have two sisters...one older, one younger...they live in fear in their "perfect lives"...well, that is to say they believe they live perfect lives. One fears that her life as she ages (now 62) will diminish if she does not have enough MONEY when she retires (now at age 67) to live the extremely comfortable life she now lives. Of course, she does not see her life from the sidelines as I see it. She has absolutely no compassion or empathy for me who has PD, lives on a barely livable disability income, and NO assets to speak of.

My younger sister, also sees her life as perfect. Perfect car, perfect house, perfect everything.

What these people are missing is the lessons WE all learn about being human. Allowing other humans to touch our lives. Allow ALL walks of life to touch our lives.

I have a love/hate relationship with quotes...which makes it extremely difficult to decide which is my favorite at any point in time!! But I did manage to pare it down to only three:

How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
-- Annie Dillard

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
-- Pericles

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOOHOO - What a Ride!"
-- Attributed to an octogenarian named Mavis Leyrer, of Seattle
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (02-27-2008), ZucchiniFlower (02-27-2008)