View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Arrow Lyrica for nerve pain - good and bad

I have thoracic outlet syndrome (compression of nerves to arms and hands), permanent nerve damage, and RSD/CRPS type II, with central sensitization, all of which leads to a high level of neuropathic pain. I was on Neurontin a couple of years ago and it helped quite a bit with the burning and shooting, electric-type pain I experience, but I developed rare kidney side-effects and had to discontue use.

So I was very interested in the development of Lyrica, (Pregalbin), the "newer generation" of gaba meds, with supposedly a lower side effect profile due in part to a much lower dosage schedule. I was eager to try it, and happy when my neurologist RX'd Lyrica for me in July.

It has helped a GREAT deal with the burning, shooting and stabbing pains, which I had expected and hoped for. So far, at the lower dose, 200 mg day Lyrica vs 3000 mg day Neurontin, no kidney/bladder issues have appeared. My neurologist wants me to go up another 100 mg day, but I am hesitant, in part because I am afraid those issues might reappear at a higher dose, but also because of the other major side effect I had hoped would be resolved, and wasn't, the weight gain problem.

Since July I have gained 15 lbs and gone up 2 waist sizes, similar to my weight issues when I started on Neurontin. This may not sound like much to some, but I am petite, 5"2, and normally gain 3-4 lbs. a year. I am a Misses size 8, but am now forced into size 12's, and at this rate will be in size 14s or higher by year end. And the MOST exasperating thing is I have very little appetite - usually a small slice of Danish with my coffee lasts me until a small supper, or a light evening snack.

It's really a Catch-22. The med DOES benefit me, enough that I can't see going off of it because of the weight gain. But I DO hate the extra weight, and from my experience with Neurontin I know it will only continue to rise the longer I'm on Lyrica.
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote