View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I have a different take on this

I think there is a connection between people who have gluten problems and why it may contribute or cause lots of cavities or other tooth problems.

According to orthomolecular medicine people with gluten problems are likely to have low histamine levels. Most people understand how histamine plays a role in the allergic reaction. But it is possible to have your histamine levels checked next time your doctor takes some blood. Some people can have high histamine levels and some can have low levels (normal levels are possible too, but don't warrant mentioning because that is the ideal situation).

But histamine plays many many roles in the body. One has to do with the amount of saliva produced. I have low histamine levels and I can always tell when my histamine levels drop because the saliva (or mucous) will get thick and require me to clear my throat (or even cough sometimes to clear it). Orthomolecular says that people with low histamine levels and pyroluria (a b6 and zinc deficiency) are known to have bad teeth. The combination of low saliva from low histamine levels AND low zinc levels causes the perfect environment for teeth to be prone to bacteria and cavities. I think a severe zinc deficiency can also cause a dry mouth or sometimes listed as a sweet breath. The lack of saliva is a big factor in why some people have so many cavities. And it may be possible good zinc levels can put some chemical or enzyme in the saliva that helps keep the bacteria from thriving in your mouth or on your teeth.

I also think that gluten issues may mean that the parts of the GI tract where zinc is absorbed can be damaged. Or, zinc absorption may be a factor somehow else when a person has gluten issues.

To put it another way, some people make the claim they have never had a cavity in their entire life. I have meet a few people who have claimed this. But the most famous person to make this claim was Marilyn Monroe who was born long before floridation of water ever started in this country. There are some who have speculated that MM may have been a high histamine type because of this claim and a few other things known about her health. Of course MM may have actually died before orthomolecular came into existance. This is not a fact but just speculation about her.

But my point is that your histamine levels can play a role in the health of your teeth because the more histamine your body has the more saliva you have in your mouth, generally speaking.

But in orthomolecular low histamine types are likely to have food allergies or sensitivities. So, there is a connection although it may not be true in every single case.
orthomolecular is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote