View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Receiving treatment at a dental school

Hi Jon,

You are right to be concerned about the conflicting information you are getting! I sure would be!!

I'm going to assume from your post that you have come here to vent some of your frustrations but also to see if anyone could give you some insight into this....... am I right??

Well, I am quite familiar with dental treatment provided in dental schools. I understand that they need to practice on real people and I know there is a discount to the patient for the work that is done. Personally, I would never have the students work on me, but especially in the case of periodonal or oral surgery or dental implants. It takes alot of experience to properly know how to perform surgery of any kind. Secondly, any time you are introducing a foreign matter like dental implants into the body, there is no room for error. Everything must be impeccably sterilized and there can be no cross contamination even from a patients own saliva into the implant site.

Dental students are generally focused and graded on their technique, not the outcome. If the outcome fails, they get to do it again....... now that's something most of us wouldn't think of!

The kaotic circumstances that usually occur in the dental schools stems from the EGO affected by the inability to perform confidently while someone is looking over your shoulder. Many things are covered up to make the technician look good and the dentists overseeing it all, knows that's what's going on so they come in and switch things up.

I hope your situation turns out ok! All you can do is go with your gut instinct and if you feel that there is too much back and forth nonsense and the treatment plan keeps changing, ask for another consult to clarify what is going on.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Hi, I'm new and about to have dental implants. Scares me to death because all the dentists I've talked with have given me conflicting information. I just had the impressions made. I'm going to a state dental school to have the work done.

Information from the residents in the pros department has been corrected by the head of the department. This has happened each time I've been there.
When he leaves, they turn back into their previous selves and give me different info.

The surgical department has already taken out six lower teeth. There are five left to extract before they put in the titanium implants. Now they tell me that they may have to do bone grafts before that. The initial surgeon did not feel there would be that need, but he was operating when I was there, so all I saw were the residents and interns.

No one is coordinating this process. I'm 77, in poor health but have my doctor's okay to do this. I can't talk with them when all this stuff is in my mouth. They usually aren't there when it's out.

I've been running into age discrimination for a long time, so I'm used to it. It just doesn't help me when I'm being talked to like " there, there little lady, don't you worry". Well, I do. Does anyone know what I mean?

Enough for now. Jon
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote