View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Great Thread

To All:

Thanks. I looked into 'statins today because I blithely suggested that a friend in a group meeting take them for her moderately high cholesterol because they didn't have serious side effects. A student nurse in the group responded, "That's not true. Exercise and diet are best." But she didn't elaborate. The posts and links herein have alerted me. I guess the fact that simply being over 55 yrs. old is one of the "symptoms" for which 'statins are prescribed as a treatment made me think they were entirely benign.

I take atorvastatin. Seven years ago, I had been a vegan for years, and I signed up to run the "Bay to Breakers" footrace here in San Francisco. The race attracts about 80,000 participants so the Expo before the race is pretty big. Pfizer had a booth there doing instant cholesterol checks. Mine came back at 330. Six weeks later, a regular cholesterol check came back at 380. I wasn't worried. My HDL / total cholesterol ratio was excellent. But I started on Lipitor at 10 mg. and it came down to the hundreds.

However, since my family has no history of atherosclerosis, I may be treating myself for an illness that I don't have. I hadn't associated my increased muscle aches with anything other than age.

I'm going to try an alternative treatment. Fish oil is out due to ethical considerations. However, Niacin is a possibility.

Thanks.

Cordially

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - T. Roosevelt
highhatsize is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (02-26-2008)