View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Why have DBS?

This is something worth remembering to quote (or try to, I don't know how to go backwards and forwards on this site!) P.D. can worsen to a point where the surgery will give no signicant improvement. This is a point worth remembering.
Many of you are still in the early stages of P.D. and I personally wouldn't consider DBS yet nor I imagine would a Dr, but there comes a time where life sux and that was what I was basically trying to say in my post on a previous thread.
You'll recognize it yourselves, your life revolves around ons and offs. An on usually has you dyskinesic more than with a smooth on like you previously had, the pain of dystonia is excruciating and you're really not game to do much of anything for fear of yet another of those unexpected offs that you get increasingly more of.
DBS comes along and the change can be quite dramatic in fact it usually is, I personally have yet to meet a DBS pt who wasn't happy with the results.
We all know it's not a cure, nobody said it was but until they think up something better it's the next best thing and at the risk of being attacked by a "non believer" I'm going to be singing its praises.
Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.
Cheers,
Lee
madeoverseas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote