View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rick, in general, the changes in blood sugar here are negligible and normal. 129 is the only number that trips into the upper limit, but it was just 30 minutes after drinking milk, which has a fairly significant carb content (and fat if you don’t drink skim milk).

The liver automatically puts out glycogen if blood sugars dip, so it is common to have higher readings after not having eaten anything. .

Again, did the study identify specific blood sugar levels that they thought might make a influence symptoms and the range between upper and lower blood sugar numbers"

It’s significant that the symptoms begin to resolve after you have had something to eat. (Milk is a pretty substantial food.)

Also, the symptoms arrive after the Sinemet. I don’t know how long it takes to be broken down and absorbed after it’s taken, but this strikes me as about the right amount of time.

I surely wouldn’t suggest that you discontinue the med. But again, if you can change the time of your Sinemet dose until later in the morning (perhaps reverse it with the Requip), but do everything else the same – coffee, milk, breakfast, whatever – it would help determine if the Sinemet is precipitating this.

Also, unless it is contraindicated, take the S with food, preferably a protein like a hard-boiled egg, which would slow down and level out the absorption a bit. That reduces the "jolt" that can happen when taking meds on an empty stomach.

I am really inclined to believe what is happening to you is a motor side effect of the medication and is not related to blood sugar at all. But since you felt better 30 minutes after milk, and you felt even better 30 minutes after a hamburger, why not have something to eat immediately after getting up?

Two other things:

-- Your diary does not match the description and schedule of the rise and fall in your first posts.

-- I was not familiar with Eldypryl. You sent me on an info hunt and found a note that one of the side effects is "uncontrollable muscle movements or spasms of the head, face, arms, or legs." Have you been able to discount the Eldypryl as a cause?

I truly know nothing about PD except the symptoms vary from person to person. Can the symptoms you are experiencing be part of the progression of the PD?

I hope you find some answers.
The Crystal Cave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote