View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 08:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had my first lumbar surgery in January of 2005. It was a lumbar laminectomy L3 to S2 to help with spinal stenosis. It did not help and as soon as I came off the pain medications all of the pain came back to my legs and feet.

I have seen many, many surgeons about the problems with my spine. I have extensive spinal problems. I think when you ask us for outcomes it is difficult to compare us to you. You have to keep in mind that each of us is different and each has a different set of problems and pain. I decided after much searching and listening to go with a surgeon in NYC and had L 1 to S1 fused in April of 2006. At my last visit in August I was told I had not yet started to fuse. I am still in considerable pain. I still have much of my presurgical pain. My legs and feet still hurt. My hips hurt and my lower back hurts. I cannot walk very far without being in considerable pain.

This is all very different from the cervica fusion I had done in August of 2005. I fused at about two and half months from that surgery. The pain was gone almost immediately, but here again I have started to have problems again with the cervical spine. I have extensive problems with arthritis though throughout my body in many joints...so to compare yourself to me or think you are going to experience the same thing is silly....You may have surgery and have a positive experience and never have to visit these boards ever again....We hope you will be one of the lucky ones...I was told from the very beginning though that they could never make me pain free so I was aware of that going in...I just thought it would be a little better than it is....Good luck!

8/17/05 - Cervical Fusion - C4-5, 5-6, 6-7 - Anterior and Posterior Fusion with plate in front and rods and screws in the rear - Corpectomy at C-4 and C-5 and microdisectomy at C6-7.

1/4/05 - Lumbar Laminectomy -L3, L4, L5, S1, S2 Obliteration of Tarlov Cyst at S2. Failed surgery!

Last edited by GJZH; 01-16-2007 at 11:43 AM.
GJZH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote