Thread: Help please
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Help for 5 year old - my daughter at five presented the same emotional and behavior i

My daughter also presented these behaviors beginning at age 3 - 5. Kept getting worse as time passed. Was diagnosed as OCD, ADHD, General Anxiety and posiible early onset bipolar. I did not like the meds prescribed, especially for bipolar so I did some research. She is taking Lexipro 10 mg daily, which helps a lot with anxiety, but all other symptoms and behaviors disappeared when I took red dyes , especially red #40, MSG, BHA and BHT out of her diet. I went as natural and organic as I can trying to remove as many chemicals from her diet as possible. Amazing change. The red #40 effects her immediately and if she gets it by mistake, even a small little red gumball, she rages, cries, is manic, aggitated, seems histerical, can not stand to be frustrated and totally wigs out. Temper tantrums that cann last the entire time the chemical is in her bloodstream. MSG is more accumulative, but after a large enough helping or a few days eating campbells soup she is aggitated, wired and manic. After cleaning up her diet the doc is amazed that she now sits quietly and plays in the office while we talk, while before she was all over the place. So my suggestion to you is try to remove chemicals your child may be sensitive to from his diet and see what happens. Many children with neurological trouble, may simply be reacting to the chemicals. Fols use to say it was a sugar high, I say it is a dye high. It can't hurt to try and if it is the chemicals in the diet it seems wiser to remove then from what your child eats then to find a medicine or additional chemical to counter the effect from the dyes, pesticides, preservatives and flavorings. If it isn't the diet, them you'll know for sure that meds are the best plan of attack and necessary for treatment. Hope this helps, VK
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (02-28-2008), Dmom3005 (03-02-2008), Mari (03-04-2008)