View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello Brandon

One of the things that has helped me over the years has been to keep a prayer journal. Just think of this as a record of your personal discussions with God. Use it as a point of reflection and also to help you actually verify what it was you were praying for.

If, for example, you put down in your journal, "God, please help me with my anger problem." You would have a point of reference with which to say, at a later date, "Thank you God, on such and such a date I asked for help with my anger problem and 3 days later a news documentary on anger management was shown on..."

It could be as simple as asking simple verification of God's existence - "God, just give me a sign of your awe and wonder." Then, you wake up the next morning, early enough to watch the sunrise, and you see hues and colors in combination that can only be described as originating from the hands of the divine.

The bottom line of the journal is to form a daily dialogue, a relationship with God the Father. Start today and it will continue forever. Start later, and it will still continue forever. But richness comes with age so why not start now:

The great French Marshal Lyautey once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow growing and would not reach maturity for 100 years. The Marshall replied, 'In that case, there is no time to lose; plant it this afternoon!'
- John F. Kennedy

Hope this has been helpful. All of this of course takes faith. Exercises like this and operating off of a daily journal is pointless if, at first, you do not believe in God. After three tours of Iraq I have grown deeper in my love and devotion to God and have never felt closer. If, in battle, or slipping on a patch of ice in the states, I die tomorrow - no problemo - it'll mark for me the beginning of a relationship I have already invested many journal pages to.

1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face-to-face; now I know in part; but then shall I know even as I am known."

I believe God knows me better than I know even myself, the loved ones I care for, and the friends I've met over the years. He has a plan for you as well, one that will extend jillions of years beyond this blink we call life.
John 16:33 “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer;I have overcome the world.”
Lasgo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (03-02-2008), SandyC (02-28-2008)