View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, as someone who's seriously weighing the risk vs. benefit of all of the therapies currently available to me, I don't find this infomation particularly ...rumor-esque.

I'm a big proponent of the therapies available, no matter how frustrated I am sometimes. I had liver damage with Avonex and body dents by Copaxone; yet I STILL wouldn't take back my decisions to take those drugs when I did.

As to the after market data on Tysabri, we're not talking about "studies" per se. There are no studies specifically designed (double blind w/placebo using control groups) to specifically measure how many people will develop or die from PML, malignant moles or suffer liver damage: those things just happened along the way. They're noted. They're documented.

And they're significant enough that the FDA and the manufacturer of the drug communicated to doctors and patients that they happened . They're not sounding the fire alarm here, but they ain't just whistling Dixie, either. This is significant information. Why on earth would we not talk about these things?

I have personal doubts about taking this drug. I don't have doubts about the people who've chosen to take this drug ...because I trust they're doing exactly the right thing for themselves ...but I do get a little frustrated that some of us are criticized for not being cheerleaders where this drug is concerned. My opinion is what it is.