View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

You bring up some valid points, Koala.

I know the UK has been contemplating a "opt-out" system, whereby consent is automatically presumed when someone dies, i.e. no need to sign a organ donor card. Personally, I think they are playing with fire if they go this route and I would be surprised if they ever end up with a "hard" opt-out system (no discussion what-so-ever with family).

Besides the fact that they might not want our MS-infested organs in case we inadvertantly pass on our immune system (this has occurred in the US too, apparently), they don't even know what causes MS yet. For all we know, it may be a virus or bacteria, combined with a certain genetic make-up (and/or other environmental factors), that might transfer to others.

I was an organ and blood donor up till 1991 when I was dx. I pulled my card then because until they know the CAUSE of MS, I don't want to take any unnecessary chances in passing it on.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (03-01-2008)