View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question pain in the neck

On the one hand I am hoping that somebody out there has had, or still has, the same neck problem I have had for 20 years. I do not wish this on anybody but just hope there is some good advice to be had
So to begin, about 20 years ago I started to suffer with neck tightening accompanied by a slight dizzy feeling. I ended up going to a chiropractor who found a problem with 2 vertibre and manipulated them back in line. I felt fine for a few months but relapsed and went back to the chiro for more treatment. This has continued for the years since then, although some of the chiropractors I have seen have suggested the problem is a trapped nerve, especially as I have the dizzy spells along with the pain.
March 2007 I attended a local chiropractor for the usual treatment, actually hip and neck manipulation. Left the practice to walk home, 5 mins into the walk felt very dizzy and started to shake, got onto the floor before I fell down, called a friend and got taken to the hospital. It turned out I had a stroke caused by the manipulation which ripped open the main artery up the right side of the neck.
I was left with severe vertigo, which I still have one year later. After many sessions with my neurologist and physio they are at a loss to explain the vertigo, what is causing it or how to treat it.
I am convinced this is still a nerve issue, and the actual pain is of secondary concern, I am more worried about being in a situation when vertigo strikes and causes a danger to me, driving a car for example. Even on public transport I have to consider getting off early due to panic, loss of spatial awareness and feeling sick, from the vertigo. (sometimes my eyes feel like they are locked into one position and when I move them I feel even worse.
I have had 2 MRI scans which show the artery is now nicely healed. Is there a way to check the nerves, a scan of some sort.
I am sure this condition is not unique and am hoping for some advice. The hospital staff and my GP have no idea what to do to help "surprise surprise"

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with comments. Thanks
steveg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote