View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 02:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default One Reason For SSDI Requiring A PhD Evaluation

Hi Jaycojade and all,

I'm new here and haven't introduced "me" yet, but due to the significance of this issue, it rates higher.

Jaycojade, you didn't mention what type of exam your son has to have.

I had to have a PhD evaluation, which was requested/required by SSDI. My primary disabilities are physical, being severe Fibro, Degenerative Spine, Severe Myofascial Pain, Sciatica now, due to progression of the spine degeneration. I had a disectomy and laminecktomy. This sciatica pain has been reduced but it is still intolerable and has to be treated.

When I received a copy of this exam it was noted in there that she (the PhD) perceived and beleived me to be a person of integrity, therefore validating, (the following are my words) "I was not trying to get a free ride".

I belong to a group at Yahoo, Disinissues (Disability Insurance Issues) regarding LTD and SSDI and also the group which is recommended here, the one at MSN, Social Security Disability Insurance Coalition. Great resources!!. The first one I have been at for about 10 years and have received a wealth of information. I was a member there for 5 years before I filed any claims. Didinissues allows absolutely no chit chat. Strictly business and is strongly moderated. So if you are one who likes to Good Mornings , How are yous, and all polite ettiquette is a must for all you do, this group wouldn't be for you. However, it does have a sister site which does allow this type dialogue! The name of it is at the site under Files and under the GuideLines

Anyway, this exam subject has just come up again and a member has just posted recently how she had to have a Psych Eval. for SSDI and she didn't even have depresson or any mental health diagnosis. However, her eval. also stated the Psy. impression of her as being legitimate in her claim.

As soon as I left the PhD's office I did the old hand on the forehead slap thinking outloud, 'why didn't I say that', or 'how could I have forgotten this'.
When I got home I wrote a letter to my caseworker at SSDI and explained this to her, asking her if she would attach the enclosed 3 pages which I had written, to the Assessment she would be receiving from the PhD. I wrote anything down which I should have elaborated on in the PhD's office, and anything I wanted to tell her in the first place but she didn't even ask about because they follow an assessment sent from SSDI.

HINT: If you want a copy of this assessment you can't get it from SSDI. You have to sign an ROI for your DR. and they send it to him/her, then you can get the copy from your Dr.

It helps to keep in mind how the people on the other end have no idea who we are, and what kind of minset and morals we have. I always put myself in their shoes and would re-read my claim forms to see if I thought this person , meaning me, was disabled or if there was possibly some job out there which "I" could do per my work history, education, and age, keeping in mind the severity of the illnesses.

TipTie Tulip
TipToeTulip is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote