View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 12:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm assuming that Cherie/clinical1 would like her thread to be salvaged or duplicated with the quoted material back in place for people to see, as soon as possible.

I noticed that Paul Jones mentions on his Website that he takes a long time to reply to reply to his e-mail sometimes. I think we who have MS can understand this.

Since it may be a while before a reply giving permission to quote comes along, I think Cherie/lady_express's idea is a good one: Put up a new thread, paste in the quoted material, indicating that it's a quotation, and give the URL you got it from.

I don't know copyright law very well either, but I use a common-sense approach sometimes. If I'd written that material and seen it posted as it was, with no attribution or indication that Cherie didn't write it, I'd have been mad.

After all, I was the one who chose the words and put them together. For many people that is no easy task. I've heard people say they sweat blood over every paragraph, every sentence. This can be literally true. I've seen graduate students get stuck for weeks on carving out a single sentence.

I have a small message board, and recently a member of it quoted a post from another message board--a post by someone not registered on our message board. She learned about it and asked me to have it deleted. She said she had posted it on that other message board, not on mine, and she didn't want it being transported to other locations, where it could be taken out of context.

I agreed with her completely, and as she happens to be a lawyer, I had a notion she knew what she was talking about. I asked the poster to delete the quotation, and she did. She could have given permission to use the quotation, but she didn't.

I've said before in this thread that there is another very good reason for giving a source. A reader often wants to look up the source, SEE the quoted material in its original context, and maybe look around further on that source.

Sometimes quotations are given without supplying the figures or the references, for instance. I've often gone to the original source to look at these. There are figures in the Paul Jones Webpage. People might want to look at them. They're not easily copied and pasted, and so they didn't make it into Cherie/clinical1's copy.
agate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote