View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Julie:

I do commend your spirit. However, every single person that I have told about Neuropathy, gave me a blank look. Even the one's over 50. As long as they are healthy, they don't want to hear any bad news.

And forget about the younger people. I'm talking about the majority of the population, not the few younger compassionate ones that I might meet up with.

People, today (and this is just my humble opinion), seem to care only for themselves.

I gather that we have to be our own advocates, our own caretakers, and do the utmost that we can do to keep ourselves as fully functional as we can.

I have yet to meet a person, who when I mention the word Neuropathy, knows what I'm talking about, and if and when they do reply "Neuropathy, what is that?" and I start talking about nerve damage and mylin sheath and diabetic neuropathy (which is what I have), well some people get this horrific look on their face and they go "Oh my god that's awful, I would just die if this happened to me".

Yeah, lousy, but very very true.

I most certainly wish you well in your doing whatever you are doing during Neuropathy Week. I had not known of this occasion.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if 20/20 or 60 minutes or SOMEONE would do a segment on it, introducing the piece as "This is Neuropathy Week, we'd like to inform our viewers exactly WHAT IS NEUROPATHY".

I can actually see Diane Sawyer doing this segment. She would be perfect.

They could have people with neuropathy talking about the pins and needles, and numbness, and explain what they are going through.

People just might sit up and say "wow, I had never heard of this thing".

One can only hope.

I have written to several news media people but have heard back nothing.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote